Six Saturday Miles

160 Views 12 Comments

sat6mile
During these Winter days, a long run for me is a 6 miler. This Summer, a 6 miler was telling my husband, “I’m just going for a quick run.” The fact that running is a ever changing, ever adapting sport for me is why I love it! It doesn’t matter whether you are running 1 mile or 12. It doesn’t matter if you are having your speediest or you slowest run. What matters most, to me, is I can take away the best parts of the run – any run.

Today, it was the 25 seconds I watch a husband and wife (assumed) run with their dog and pushing two kids in a bike trailer. When I saw them on the other side of the pond for the second time, they were still going strong.

This sport continues to inspire me each day I step out. The last few weeks I have done more treadmill running but I still can find a piece of inspiration at the gym, too. I like I can push myself no matter where I am or what I am doing. It’s a quality, while running, I try to apply in other areas of my life.

sat6mile
When I stepped out for my run it was 28 degrees with a N 10 MPH wind. I got some tears in my eyes a few times from the wind but nothing that slowed me down. Don’t get me wrong, we had a pretty cold streak earlier this month, but January was pretty tame for Minnesota.

Today’s running playlist was hand picked this morning. I was dreading the run a little, naturally. I probably picked the weirdest mix, ever:

The Chainsmokers / Kanye
Ariana Grande / Break Free
Neon Hitch ft. Tyga / Gold
Coldplay / Major Minus
Florence and The Machine / Over The Love
Taylor Swift / Shake It Off
Britney Spears / Till The World Ends
Jennifer Lopez / On The Floor
Elbow / One Day Like This
Kat Dahlia / Crazy
Coldplay / A Sky Full Of Stars
Adele / Set Fire to the Rain
The Lone Bellow / The One You Should’ve Let Go
Lana del Ray / Young and Beautiful

I ran out of a tunes about .5 mile away from home but I appreciated the quiet at that point. I also appreciated the big cup of hot coffee when I got home!

sat6mile

Did you get a long run in this morning? Do your long run distances change in the Winter?

12 Comments
  • Kim

No long run for me today – actually no running today. I love running on the treadmill and in the winter do most of my runs that way because I hate cold!!!

• Jenelle

Epic mug!

• Abby @ BackAtSquareZero

I am the opposite. It is too hot here during the summer, but great during the winter.
    So I run long during the winter, but short during the summer.

• MaryBeth at The Thrive Blog

I forget how different it can be for everyone else in different states. The variables do make it more fun. I remember one Summer I got stuck in a terrible downpour 3 miles into a out & back. I rolled my iphone into my shirt and cruised home absolutely soaked. My husband was standing in the garage worried for me. It was the most miserable and most happy I have ever been!
      Thanks for coming by, Abby.

MB

• Tara @ Running 'N' Reading

I think that’s a pretty fantastic playlist, MaryBeth! 🙂 Glad you were able to get out and enjoy some fresh air; I can do with the treadmill, but I’d rather not. I tend to do longer long runs in the winter, but we have pretty mild winters here; it gets so hot in the summer months that the thought of anything more than about 12 miles is just disgusting. So pleased to have found your blog! Hope you’re having a great day!

• Julie @ Running in a Skirt

I try to run in the morning too. It sets up my day the right way.
    I tend to run longer in the summer as well.

• MaryBeth at The Thrive Blog

With my recent membership to the YMCA I am able to get my workout in during the day instead of waiting until my husband got home each night. I tell you, it’s a game changer!

• Chaitali

I love your philosophy about taking the best part of a run! I joined a training group this Winter specifically because I knew it would be hard for me to get out there and run in the cold otherwise 🙂 I might think twice about signing up for an early spring race in the future!

• MaryBeth at The Thrive Blog

Getting in with a group or a friend to help make you accountable for your runs is the perfect way to log miles in less than ideal conditions. My family and friends really push me to get out there and do my best.

MB